I am a technology, engineering and design educator who is passionate about empowering kids. I’m currently employed as the Technology & Engineering Teacher at A2 STEAM at Northside, a brand-new K-8 program that is part of Ann Arbor Public Schools. I run the STEAM Lab, our school’s space for hands-on learning through the STEAM subject areas (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math). As a teacher, I value hands-on projects, cross-curricular learning experiences, and use of the design process to show students how to solve problems.
I was previously employed as the Technology Specialist for Honey Creek Community School in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
I am certified in Technology & Design Education (TX, grades K-12) and Communication/Theater Arts (BD, grades 6-12) in the state of Michigan. The combination of my technological background and my artistic pursuits means I use a range of different methods, technologies, and projects in my teaching. My mission as a teacher is to teach technological literacy and help my students become thoughtful members of society who take joy in solving problems and using technology to help them achieve their personal goals.
For a nice overview of my educational work, check out this lovely profile of me from the iiE (Institute for Innovation in Education): Bill Van Loo, The Maker-Educator
I completed my Master’s degree at Eastern Michigan University in the Educational Media and Technology program in December 2016.
In the summer, I work as a Master Teacher for Project Lead The Way, teaching other educators the PLTW Gateway curriculum for middle school grades. I’ve also taught at Wayne County Community College District and the College for Creative Studies.
Workshops & Presentations
I am a frequent presenter and workshop facilitator, delivering professional development for other educators and sharing my own learning. You can find out more in the Presentations section.
- Follow me on Twitter: @billvanlooteach
- My Curriculum Vitae (CV) – browse my CV and find out more about my schooling, educational experience, and interests.
Featured photo at the top of the page by Mark Bialek for the Ann Arbor Observer
Latest Teaching Blog Posts
- MACUL 2019: Making Meaning Through Making January 24, 2019Sarah Van Loo and I will be presenting the MACUL Conference 2019 in Detroit, MI, sharing both a 3-hour pre-conference workshop, as well as a 1-hour session during the main conference. Our workshop and session are both entitled “Making Meaning Through Making”. This session is aimed at educators who have already been using design thinking, constructivist ...
- Presenting at PLTW Summit Indianapolis January 24, 2019I’m excited to share that I will be presenting twice at the Project Lead The Way (PLTW) Summit in Indianapolis, IN, in February 2019. PLTW Summit Indianapolis is a three-day event packed with workshops, general sessions, and after-hours activities designed to bring together the PLTW Network and passion for providing students with inspiring, engaging, and ...
- iiE Profile: Bill Van Loo, The Maker-Educator August 18, 2015iiE Profiles introduce interesting people in the Institute for Innovation in Education community. The first batch were based on interviews done by students in the University of Michigan – Flint Ed Tech Professional Seminar. I am deeply honored to have been featured in an iiE Profile. Check it out below: Bill Van Loo: The Maker-Educator